This exercise is designed to reinforce concepts covered in Modules 7, 8, and 9. The objective for this exercise is to use VCAs to mix to a target loudness level, so as to meet delivery specifications. The supplied content “A Sound Proposal” was originally mixed to a target loudness level of –24LKFS using integrated loudness. For this exercise, A Sound Proposal needs to be delivered to a streaming service that specifies a target loudness level of –27LKFS using integrated dialog measurement.
This exercise will begin by performing a loudness analysis of the supplied ADM BWF, and then use the Renderer’s real-time loudness meters with playback from Pro Tools to determine what changes need to be made prior to remastering the content.
Dolby Atmos Renderer
Follow these steps for the Renderer:
- Launch the Renderer. Set as per Exercise 4
- Choose File > Open to open A_Sound_Proposal_English.wav ADM BWF master file.
- Open the Analyze Loudness window by choosing Window > Analyze Loudness or type Command+L (Mac) or Control+L (Windows).
- Set the Analysis in/out to Set manually to remove the 2 seconds of pre-roll.
- In – 01:00:00:00
- Out – 01:03:33:03
- Click Analyze Loudness.
- As the Integrated (dialogue) level is –31LKFS, this means that 4dB of gain should be needed to achieve the required level of –27LKFS. However, due to the True peak measurement of 3.5 dBTP, care needs to be taken to avoid clipping.
- Close the Loudness Analysis window.
- Set the Renderer Source back to Input.
- The Input Configuration is defined by the master file, which will match the source of the session you will open.
- Enable Synchronization (LTC chase) by clicking on the Sync button (clock icon).
- Open the saved session named “A_Sound_Proposal_Exercise.”
- Using the VCA mutes, mute the German, French, and AltMX masters. Ensure the VCA mutes for English and MX master are not muted.
- Leave the VCA masters at 0.
- Play the session from start to finish.
- At the end of content playback, the Renderer’s real-time loudness meters should show similar results.
- Adjust the master VCA to +3.
- Reset the real-time loudness meters in the Renderer by selecting the refresh button, and play the session from start to finish.
- 3dB of gain is sufficient to get the measured level to 27.4 (acceptable with rounding), while keeping the True peak at –0.5dBTP. This avoids the playback limiter and is below the threshold of the encoding limiter.
Mastering the content and running an offline analysis of the new master will likewise reveal acceptable levels.
A Loudness Summary log can be exported to be included with the deliverable from the Loudness Analysis window in the Renderer.
Saving Your Work
Be sure to save this session.